Tuesday, September 27, 2011

GEMBA7-OBSession3 Vinodh Sankaran Learning Journal

Am I paid enough? Is my job interesting? Am I happy with my Job? These are common questions which arises in everyone's day to day life. Today my post is about "Motivation". How often are you motivated in your work place or in life? Motivation is the key factor through which employees and organization achieve their goals. In my case recognition, job satisfaction, promotions, awards, family, job interest, needs, feedback and money are the key factors which motivates me to work. Motivating factors depends up on individual's interest and needs. Even a strong motivational speech can make a huge difference locker room speech given by the football coaches before the national championship game or take the famous Steve jobs motivational speech on graduation ceremony at Stanford University in 2005(Thanks to Stanford.edu). I always motivate my team members so that they can foster the productivity.

Each organization follows their own style of motivating factors to motivate their employees. A competitive salary package, bonuses, health benefits, employee discounts, tuition aid, job rotation and awards are some of the key motivational factors which AT&T uses to motivate their employees. We also use Goal setting theory in our organization. A common smart goal is developed and it is converted in to individuals' goal based on their organization needs and interest. All our quarterly incentives are tied up with the goals and market performance. So we get bonuses every quarter, which psychologically boost the moral of employees.

In my organization to avoid the monotonous and job boredom we introduced job rotation program among the organization where an employee will be rotated every 18 months to different jobs to different teams. This had not only avoided the boredom it also educated the employee in all aspects and made them more powerful. I always motivate my team members regularly by giving thank you card, honest feedback, taking lunch often, birthday cakes, hosting super bowl potluck, gift coupons etc. In case of any family emergencies or severe weather I allow my employees to telecommute or be flexible with work hours, which will encourage to work with positive mind. I also allow my employees to take decision during key time, which will morally motivate them at work I learned this art from my manager Marcus. Motivation is one of the sensitive and key factor in an organization I hope you all enjoyed my view of motivation.

Both my teams Georgia Tech and Clemson University are 4-0 as of now I hope they will be unbeaten until they meet on october 29th at GA tech. Please be free to give me feedback about my blog. See you all soon with my next post.

Thanks
Vino

No comments:

Post a Comment